Zoning Permits are required for new dwellings, additions, garages, decks, porches, sheds, swimming pools and signs. Maintenance on buildings (such as new paint or siding, window replacement, roof repairs) does not require a permit.
Contact the Zoning Officer to discuss specific permit requirements.
To estimate cost to obtain a Zoning Permit, see Fee Schedule. There is a minimum processing fee of $30.00 for any Zoning Permit application.
NOTE: Anyone planning to dig, drill, blast, auger, bore, grade, trench or demolish anywhere in Pennsylvania is required to contact PA One Call (1-800-242-1776) three days prior to construction.
Storm Water Management Permits
All land disturbance activity, including installation of impervious surface, requires that the Township be notified prior to installation. In some cases, a Storm Water Management Permit may be required. Please contact the Storm Water Management Engineer with specific questions.
The fee for a Minor Storm Water Management Permit is $500.00 (for land disturbance activity involving between 1,000 and 2,000 square feet). For over 2,000 square feet of land disturbance activity, the fee is $1,000.00.
The Township Storm Water Management engineer is Scott Hain at David Miller/Associates. He can be reached weekdays at 717-898-3402.
Construction of and/or resurfacing of a driveway requires a driveway permit. If a driveway has access to a Township road, a driveway permit is issued by the Township Office. If a driveway has access to a State road, a PA DOT permit is required. All driveways must be set back at least
five (5) feet from property lines.
The fee for a Driveway Permit is $30.00.
Sewage Permits are required for new and replacement of on-lot sewage disposal systems. Contact the Sewage Enforcement Officer to discuss testing and permit requirements. Any malfunctions of on-lot sewage disposal systems must also be discussed with the Sewage Enforcement Officer.
The fee schedule for sewage testing and permitting will be explained by the Sewage Enforcement Officer, Len Spencer.
Contact Mr. Spencer at 717-989-8439 or SEOsvcs@ptd.net
Application for Building Permit and Plans Examination
Note: The Elizabeth Township Board of Supervisors has appointed two agencies to administer and enforce the Uniform Construction Code. It is the permit applicant’s responsibility to select and identify one of the agencies below that would perform the plan review and the required inspections during the construction process. Three (3) sets of plans are required for all submissions.
Questions regarding this procedure should be directed to Barry R. Wagner, Zoning Officer at (717) 625-0444. The Zoning Officer is also available at the Township office on Wednesday evenings between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m.
We no longer accept online applications. Please download the printable PDF.
If this project is electric exempt, please note you must print out the Building/Zoning Application PDF (button above) and have the attached Electrical Exemption Affidavit notarized and submitted to our office.
Zoning Hearing Board Application
- A Building/Zoning Permit Application
- Five(5) copies of the Zoning Hearing Board Application. If necessary, use additional sheets and attach them to the application.
- Five(5) copies of the plot plan prepared in accordance with the instruction contained within the application. The plot plan must be accurate and drawn to scale.
- A Zoning Hearing Board application fee of $500. When paying by check, make payable to Elizabeth Township.
- The Elizabeth Township Zoning Hearing Board schedules its meetings for the second Wednesday of each month at 7PM at the Municipal Office. To be considered, the applicant must submit all required information no later than the fifth(5th) day of the preceding month prior to the scheduled meeting. If the application is not complete, the application will either be returned to the applicant or if the additional information can be provided resulting in a complete application, it will be held until the following month.
- The Zoning Hearing Board is permitted forty-five(45) days following the closing of the testimony at the last hearing on an application to render a decision.
- There is a thirty (30) day appeal period following the issuance of a decision by the Zoning Hearing Board in which an appeal may be filed with the Court of Common Pleas of Lancaster County to reverse or limit said decision.
- Unless otherwise specified by the Board or by law, a variance or special exception shall expire if the applicant fails to obtain a zoning permit within one (I) year of the date of authorization by the Board or by the Court if the special exception or variance has been granted after an appeal. A variance or special exception shall also expire if the applicant fails to complete any rection, construction, reconstruction, alteration or change in use authorized by the special exception or variance within two (2) years from the date of authorization by the Board or the Court. The Board, for reasonable cause shown, may extend the approval for an additional period of one (1) year.
- Any questions regarding the application or process may be directed to Barry R. Wagner, Elizabeth Township Zoning Officer, at (717) 625-0444. The Zoning Officer also has office hours at the Township office on Wednesday evenings between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m.
Elizabeth Township has two agencies that act as Code Officials:
1647 N. Reading Rd.
176 Doe Run Road