Elizabeth Township possesses a rich historical heritage. Established in 1757 from what was then Warwick Township, it was split again in 1853 to create the present Clay Township to the east.
The area now comprising Elizabeth Township played an important part in the development of the County in early colonial days. The village of Brickerville dates from 1741, when the area’s first blast furnace was built to make cast iron from ore from the Cornwall mines. Stiegel glass manufacturing, dating from 1757, soon grew into an international export. Iron production grew, reaching its peak about 1780 and continuing until 1856. The supplying of charcoal from area forests to feed the furnaces over this period became an important related industry.
Today, Elizabeth Township is a quiet rural community, devoted largely to agricultural, recreational and residential uses. The Township’s largest village is Brickerville. Some other smaller villages include Elm, Poplar Grove and Lexington.
More information on History of the Township can be found in IMPACT 2017.